HOWEVER, that being said it is definitely going to be hijaab-tastic (though, really, anyone will be able to wear them) and I am hoping to pop them on Etsy for anyone who wants to purchase.
But for now, until I get it going, I'm keeping mum on this thread. You'll just have to wait and see. Intrigued, no?
Let me know what you think!
Little handmade stretchy belt with black and red felt leaves.
I've also decided to enter this into the competition as well so now I have 2 entries! Phew!
So here are some of the pics. Let me know what you think!!
Also, I've start on the dress I'm going to wear to my friend's wedding. It doesn't look so great in this pic (for some reason my dressmaker's model has a big butt) though it looks so much better on me. Must get pics with me instead. I think I migh make the neckline a little lower (not too much though) but everything is sewed up and now I just have to make the head-piece and the little sheer stole/cape thing for over the shoulders and we'll be set! Powerhouse this week! Eek!!
Now this will have a belt (haven't got there yet) so at the moment it's just held up with some spare ribbon. Also the ribbon at the bottom is just pinned on but that's soon to be remedied. I'll get more pics with me in it soon insha allah.
1: the opening the sleeves is a tad too small
2: the seems at the top of the sleeves are pulling and looking all nasty and are getting worse because you have to pull to get the end of the sleeve over your hand.
So I decided to re-do the sleeves. I know! After all that time I took to do them initially I unstitch it all and put a whole new set on. I'm like that. I'll spend hours on a sketch trying to get it right then end up erasing the whole thing because I decide it sucks. Yep. That's me. Ineficient.
But then unfortunately that's my creative process. So now the top has new sleeves. Nicer sleeves, I reckon. They are open bell sleeves (not to big) but at least now they are not uncomfortably tight or anything. Insha allah I'll get some pics with my friend wearing the dress this week and I'll chuck them up.
Now, however, I'm off to bed before I pass out from too much sewing related exhaustion. Phew!!
It's done! Finished! Caput! FINALLY!!!!!
Now all I have to do is find someone to wear it for photos while I start on the dress I'll wear to my friend's wedding insha allah. OMG I cannot believe I am actually finished. The shock hasn't worn off yet, probably due to the fact that the lack of sleep is stemming my brain's ability to feel anything. 12am peoples - that's when I finally put in the last stitch.
My brain hurts!
So now I am celebrating, though not too rigorously. Then again, a congo line of star troopers is enough to get anyone dancing. Kool & the Gang, anyone?
I'm lying on my back, looking up at my dress thinking to myself "c*$p"
I've just attached the skirt to the top (with pins, no stitching, thank goodness) and I've realised that it looks absolutley... in other words, I'm in pain. I've just spent a good 5 hours doing the skirt and it looks shocking. What the heck went wrong?????
I try to attach it in a number of other ways, add some other bits of material, experiment but it still looks shite!
Saturday morning, 11:30am, my apartment again
So I've gone to spotlight to pick up the materials for my dress I'm going to make insha allah for my friend's wedding at the end of the month and I just happened to buy some black ribbon. I come back home, take one look at the dress and am struck by a stroke of what I'm hoping is brilliance - what if I make it a top and skirt?
So, after some fiddling around on saturday and some more work yesterday on the skirt, here is what has immerged:
Ok, so it looks finished but it's not completely. I still have the waste band to put into the skirt but then that's it. Then I'll be finished.
Does anyone know what to do???
I cannot believe I would actually see the day! After weeks of fiddly work (and almost chewing my fingers off in frustration at times) I sewed on the little eye and hook clasp at the top of the zip and almost congoed around the room in excitement.
Alhumdulillah, thank God it's done! Well, the top at least! The skirt is easy - that, I am hoping, will be cut out and stitched up by Friday night which will be super fantastic!
Now all I have to do is find someone who it'll fit for photos...
Sorry the pics a bit dark. I was shooting this just on my little pink digital. The bottom is not sewn up - I just tucked it up so you could get more of an idea.
And the back. Oi vey with the invisible zip. Talk about a pain!
Ok, so aside with the french and spanish. I have an announcement so listen up bloggers!
Instead of selling my dress after finishing it for the competition, I thought I would stick it on eBay and have a charity auction - 100% of the profits will go to charity.
Why am I doing this??No, I have not gone loco from the long hours of hunchback sewing. I've decided that, because I am an amateur seamstress and this is probably never going to be my crowning masterpiece, I do not want to charge someone $300 (and that would be just to cover the material) for something that isn't up there with the other $300 dresses in regards to perfection of stitch etc.
Therefore, I want to auction it off for charity. This way, you'll get a very interesting formal dress and you'll be helping someone out. I am yet to pick a charity but I am thinking the Starlight Children's Foundation Australia or the McGrath Foundation (or maybe both).
So when I stick this up for auction, please tell everyone you know - it would be so awesome (especially being Ramadhan) to give something to these great foundations.
So here we are - after 5 hours, this is the progress: