Alrighty. So I've finally got my butt into gear and officially started on my little sis' formal/prom dress. It's taken me a bit to get going (mostly because I've been distracted by a certain vampire series) but now it's off and running. She's chosen a lovely olive green satin, quite heavy though it will fall nicely. It'll be completely lined and will be one heck of a challenge given it is of my own design and therefore has no pattern whatsoever. Good times.

So, as I said in an earlier posting, I will be keeping an online diary of my progress (and any mishaps) of my venture into formal dress making. Should be interesting to say the least and you'll get to see how I make my dresses, which I'm guessing is probably a heck-of-alot different to how people who have actually trained and studied to do this kind of thing do it. So here we go!

These first lot of shots are just of the satin, inside out of course, and being pinned and cut to the dress shape. And yes, my little sis is a tiny skinny-minnie.


The back has changed. It's a bit hard to explain so I'll leave it for now. Has to do with the gathering and the train so once that's done you'll be able to see the changes from the mock-up.

Here the top is taking on it's shape. It's only the front for now but I've already done the lining, which is a lighter olive.



I like how the material has given the V-neck a sort of cowel necked shape to it. Actually looks better than the original design...


Tonight I'll start on the skirt, because the new back needs the skirt to hold it in place. Needless to say, I like the skirt - the skirt is so easy compared to the top part. Insha allah we'll see how it goes!

Til next time...
0 Responses

Post a Comment